Monday 15 August 2016

Dessert Recipe - Kueh Bingka (Tapioca)

I have been wanting to try out making my own nyonya kueh. Looking at the recipe, I told myself, well this is simple as I have all the ingredients at home except tapioca. Since is one my favorite and you can hardly get a good one out there or if is a good one, is far from my place. And the end result was a good comment from those who tasted it.





With my little kitchen helper, Themomix, is so much easier.

Ingredients
1.8 - 2 kg of Tapioca (peel, cut small piece to yield 1.5 kgs grated tapioca)
2 × 200g coconut milk in box or 500g of fresh thick coconut milk
250g castor sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
30g soft unsalted butter

1. Put 800g fresh cut into TM bowl to blend 15 sec/sp 8, then pour out into a bowl
2. Put balance cut tapioca into TM bowl blend 15 sec/sp 8. Place first batch back to TM bowl
3. Add sugar, egg, coconut milk, butter and salt to mix evenly 40 sec/reverse blade/sp 4.
Mix another 30 sec/reverse blade/ sp 4 if not properly mix.
4. Pour the mixture into a 24 x 24 cm square tray lined with banana leave or grease with butter
5. Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 60 minutes. Turn the tray if necessary for even browning. Test with skewer to ensure throughly baked.
6. Sprinkle some sugar on the surface (optional),  put the tray to lower rack for another 20 - 30 minutes bake till golden brown
7. Set aside to cool for 2 - 3 hours before cutting

Note:
I have bought 1.8kg but after cut, it weigh only 1.25 kg of tapioca, thus I have put in lesser sugar only 230g. As for coconut milk, I have used Kara brand.                  
Step 6 I have baked for another 20 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment