Tuesday 5 July 2016

Simple Recipe - Rendang Ayam

Cooking Rendang Ayam (chicken) has been my yearly affair during Raya.  Just last week my younger son requested me to cook as he wanted to eat with lemang.  It was already in my planning to cook Rendang to with lemang.

Lemang is a traditional food made of glutinous rice, coconut milk and salt, cooked in a hollowed bamboo stick lined with banana leaves in order to prevent the rice from sticking to the bamboo.

But my version of Rendang is not so dry as I prefer more gravy to go with rice or lemang. And I admit my version is not the best but as long as my two boys are satisfied with it, who cares 😉.





Ingredients
7 whole chicken leg
6 Kafir lime leaves
2 tumeric leaves
1.5 grated coconut = 1 thick coconut milk
Pinch of sugar
Salt to taste
8-10 tablespoon Kerisik*

To cut and blend:
25 dried chillies
8 small onions
5 garlic
1 inch ginger
1 inch galangal
3 lemongrass
1/2 inch tumeric

Method
Each whole leg cut into 4 pieces
Kafir lime leaves quater
Tumeric leave cut pieces
1.5 coconut add water to juice out 1 medium bowl thick coconut milk

Heat up wok
Toast half grated coconut, pound finely

Heat up oil
Fry the chillie paste till fragrant
Put in chicken
Then add in kafir and tumeric leaves 
Coconut milk
Salt and sugar
Lastly add in kerisik (toasted coconut)


*Kerisik:
Coconut is grated, toasted, then pound finely or ground to paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment